Reflections on my first 10 days in Peru



10 Days ago I landed in one of the most fascinating countries I have ever visited.  Due to time constraints I decided to do my sightseeing prior to the commencement of the project.  The rich cultural history of Peru’s Cathedrals, the adrenaline filled dune buggy racing across the South American desert or the culinary diversity of the street carts and restaurants make this an unforgettable destination.  And then there is Machu Picchu…  I will not diminish the impact it had on myself by attempting to translate that feeling into words.  All I can say is this is a must visit place for everyone.  Period.  I believe that I will leave this country a changed person, just like the thousands of people that are touched by Peru every day. 

However, thanks to TWECS, i truly believe that our Team's experience will far surpass that of others experiencing this unforgettable country.


Over the past 8 days in Peru I have met both Travelers and Locals. Most have been fascinating to engage with.  I was even in the middle of a protest involving hundreds of police and thousands of protesters, yet both police and the anti-police were friendly to me and each other.  It is not often you can say that a visit to a ten thousand person strong demonstration is a pleasnt experience.  I easily could have left this country after my sightseeing portion of the trip had concluded and felt that I had an amazing trip.  However, is actual truth, my Peruvian experience was about to begin…

Our Team had traveled by bus for about 75 minutes through the endless streets of Lima.  We dodged pedestrians and animals, we ascended mountains and battled the relentless traffic to arrive at our eyecare clinic.  A small crowd was forming, eagerly awaiting our arrival.  Our Team was excited to start the day, the patients were obviously excited and the smiles and waves greeted us.  I was the first of our Team to step off the bus In the District of San Juan del Lurigancho.   At this moment on Day 9 of my trip I started to experience the true heart of Peru.  An elderly woman reached out as if to shake my hand.  When I attempted to do so the handshake was bypasses and she went in for a hug.  This was not a quick thanks for helping hug, this was a deep welcome to my home and I wish to share with you hug.   Instantly I felt like a small part of the community.  And I later realized that the woman was quite literally hosting us in her home.  Our clinic site that day was in the upper 2 floors of her house.  

I proceed to move to the doorway of the clinic where the line started to form.  At the front of the line was an elderly gentleman hunched over in a chair.   The closer I got, the more he struggled to force himself to a standing position.  I motioned for him to stay seated, but he insisted on greeting our team in the most respectful position his frail body would allow.  He reached his gnarled hand out for mine and I humbly shook it.  This was a old man who apparently had spent a lifetime of hard labour.   His broken body and rough hands were the evidence.   He grasped onto my hand with his second hand to assure a tight and welcoming grip, while repeating Welcome, welcome, welcome in Spanish.  Any discomfort this gentleman was felling by attempting to stand up straight was masked by the ear to ear smile on his face.  

So 30 seconds after arriving in the Los Angeles neighbourhood of San Juan del Lurigancho district i received 2 gifts I will always remember.  A hug so heartfelt, it would be impossible not to feel welcome.  And a handshake that expressed gratitude and friendship better than words could even attempt to. 

As the day proceeded, my feeling of being welcomed into Peru was repeatedly reinforced.  Random children would run up to me and say, “me hope you have nice day” and then present a favorite rock they had collected.   Patients standing in the hot sun would fan our team members with their registration papers to cool them down.  Food was prepared for our team by community members and there was a consistent deluge of smiles and thank yous.  

David does what he does best AR
Yes, our team has traveled thousand of kilometers to provide free eye exams and free glasses.  We absolutely are providing a life changing gift to thousands.  Our Team is redirecting the course of people's lives from being visually impaired and reliant, to one of hope and potential.  But this project is not one of one way giving.  This is a symbiotic relationship.  The gifts provided by TWECS may be tangible but no less cherished than those received TWECS members. 


David doing crowd control....easy for a firefighter and Global medic volunteer for disasters
This is a remarkable country with fascinating attractions, and one of the friendliest populations on this planet.   I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit as a tourist and will never forget my experiences.  Furthermore, the ability to serve the people of Peru as a TWECS volunteer takes this trip to an elevated level.   

Dr. Marina Roma-March and Derrick March have built something very special.  They have created a global network of like minded people who are passionate about sharing.  This network consists of Canadian Doctors and Volunteers eager to share their skills, and time with those in developing countries.   And the patients who are so often eager to share their homes, countries, hugs and handshakes with our team.  

To Marina, Derrick, the TWECS Team and especially the people of Peru…

Muchas Gracias. 












No comments:

Post a Comment